August 15, 2012

Scalloped Potatoes

This recipe has been in my family since I was a little girl and was the only way that my mom made scalloped potatoes.  I'm not even sure where she got this recipe.  Though, I have to admit, this recipe was made more for special occasions because it took about an hour and 15 minutes to cook the potatoes in the oven.

By now you probably know, I like to use the microwave when I can to speed up the process, and that's exactly what I did with this recipe.  Because of this, I can now make these potatoes more often even when I don't have a lot of time.
Scalloped Potatoes

Scalloped Potatoes

10.5 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
1 small onion, chopped
2/3 cup milk
salt and pepper
4 - 6 potatoes, sliced*
3 - 4 Tablespoons butter

In a small bowl, mix cream of mushroom soup, onion and milk together. Put in two shakes of salt and pepper and stir.  Put a thin layer of soup mixture in a greased (I used butter) 2-quart casserole dish.  Next put a layer of potatoes and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.  Repeat layers until all potatoes and sauce is used up (the last layer should be sauce).  Dot top with butter.  Cover and microwave for 18 to 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.  Gently stir once or twice while cooking.

Servings:  6

*The number of potatoes used will depend on their size

No comments:

Post a Comment