September 2, 2012

Gooey Lemon Butter Cake

This summer my family and some of my husband's family all went to St. Louis for vacation.  We were supposed to go to Colorado but because of the fires, we ended up in Missouri.  (That's another story!)  Anyways, while visiting this fun city I decided I wanted to try some of the foods that St. Louis is known for.  One of them is their gooey butter cakes.  Have you ever tried one?  All I can say is mmm, mmm good!  I knew I just had to try to make one at home.  I had some lemon extract so I thought I would add a little flavoring to my version.  Tell me what you think?!

Gooey Lemon Butter Cake

1 cup butter, melted
yellow cake mix
5 eggs, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla, divided
8 oz. package cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
3 cups powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using electric beaters mix butter, cake mix, 3 eggs and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until combined.  Then beat on medium high for 2 minutes.  Spread in a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.  In separate bowl, using electric beaters, beat cream cheese until smooth.  Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, lemon extract and 2 eggs until combined.  Slowly add powdered sugar and beat until creamy.  Pour over cake.  Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.  Do not overbake (as I did -- next time I'll know better!!  If this happens, just warm a bit in the microwave and voila, you have yumminess!) as center should be a little gooey.  Cool; dust with powdered sugar.

Servings:  12 - 16


Gooey Lemon Butter Cake

No comments:

Post a Comment