November 23, 2012

Beef Teriyaki Stew

I thought that because the holiday shopping is in full swing, I would tell you about a recent meal I made in my crockpot.  If you're anything like me, I don't feel like cooking dinner after I've been hitting the mall all day.  I'm usually hungry and want something quick.  Crockpot meals are a great way to satisfy both.  What are your favorite meals to make in a crockpot -- please share.  I'd love to hear about your recipes too!

Beef Teriyaki Stew
1 medium onion, cut in chunks
1 1/2 cups carrots, sliced
1 pepper, cut in chunks
4 oz. can sliced mushrooms
1 celery stalk, sliced
1 cup snow peas*
1 lb. stew meat, cut in chunks
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
4 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons honey
1/2 cup water, divided
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
4 servings of cooked rice


Add vegetables (except snow peas) and meat to slow cooker.  

 
In a small bowl, mix soy sauce, ginger, garlic powder, brown sugar, honey and 1/4 cup water.  Pour over mixture in slow cooker.  Cook on low for 8 - 10 hours.  Add snow peas last 10 minutes of cooking.

With slotted spoon, remove meat and vegetables.  Spoon over rice. Pour liquid from crockpot into a small saucepan.  In a small bowl mix the cornstarch with remaining 1/4 cup water until smooth and then add to liquid in saucepan.  Bring to a boil; then simmer for 1 minute until thickened.  Pour over beef and rice.
 
Beef Teriyaki Stew
Servings:  4

Note:  Instead of thickening sauce on the stovetop, you can keep liquid in crockpot.  If you want to do it this way, mix the cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and add to liquid.  Turn slow cooker to high and cook 10 - 15 minutes or until thickened.  I just like to cook mine on the stove because it's faster and I don't have to worry about keeping the meat and vegetables warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment