February 13, 2013

Date Muffins

When I was growing up I remember eating my mom's date and nut bread.  It was one of my dad's favorite breads to eat as well as mine too.  The funny thing is that when I asked my mom for her recipe, she laughed and said that she always made it from a store bought mix!  LOL!  So, when I decided to use up the dates that I bought a while ago when they were on sale, I had to create my own recipe.  Instead of making bread I decided that I would make muffins instead and use my heart shape molds because of Valentine's Day.  I have to say, I think I will have to buy more dates!

Date Muffins
Date Muffins

8 oz. bag of dates, finely chopped*
2 Tablespoons butter
1 cup boiling water
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/4 cups of flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Grease bottoms only of muffin pan.  Place dates, butter and water in a bowl.  Let sit for 15 minutes.  Add egg to date mixture and beat by hand.  Sift rest of ingredients and add to bowl.  Stir until combined and all is moistened.  Fill cups about 3/4 full.  Bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.  Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.  If muffins aren't easily removed, take a knife around edge of muffin to loosen.

Servings:  12 - 15 muffins

*Using kitchen shears makes this easy to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment