June 5, 2012

Applesauce Snackin' Cake

Did you know that June 6th is National Applesauce Cake Day (I think there is a food holiday for every day of the year!)?  Well, in honor of such an auspicious day, here is my applesauce cake recipe!  This recipe is really quick and easy to make.  It's my go-to recipe when we're about to have visitors or I need something quick for a potluck or bake sale.

Applesauce Snackin' Cake

1 cup packed brown sugar
1 2/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice or cinnamon or nutmeg*
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup water, plus 1 extra teaspoon
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In medium bowl, mix dry ingredients.  Add remaining ingredients and mix until combined.  Pour into an ungreased 8 x 8 x 2" square pan.  Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  If desired, dust with powdered sugar.
Applesauce Snackin' Cake
*Note:  I actually used a combination of spices because I didn't have any allspice.  I used 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment