August 28, 2012

Black Bean Burgers

Here we go again. . . me trying to eat healthier!  My husband tried a black bean burger not too long ago and liked it so much that he asked me to make him some.  I'm not a big fan of black beans but I thought I would give it a try.  Actually, they weren't so bad!  LOL!  I still prefer the regular beef hamburger but I will definitely be making these more often.  They were easy to make and really so much better for you.

Black Bean Burgers
Black Bean Burgers

2 - 15 oz. can black beans, drained & rinsed
3/4 cup cracker crumbs
2 large eggs
1 green pepper, finely diced
1/4 cup onion, diced
1/4 cup mushrooms, chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried cilantro

Mash beans with a potato masher.  Add rest of ingredients and stir until combined.  Make 8 patties one inch thick (you want them thin so they will cook in the center).  Spray pan with oil spray and cook burgers on medium heat (I needed to do this in two batches) for about 7 minutes per side.  Serve on hamburger buns with your favorite toppings.

Servings:  8 burgers

Servings:  If you freeze the burger first, you can put it on the grill -- may need to put on top of foil if you don't do this step because they aren't as firm as regular beef hamburgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment