August 25, 2012

Veggie Rice Medley

I don't know about you, but I am always trying (key word "trying") to eat healthier and of my goals is to have more vegetarian meals.  That is how I created this recipe (although I did cheat a little by using chicken broth.  I'm sure vegetable broth would work just as well.).  It was also a great way to make good use of my garden produce.   An added bonus. . . it turned out so good that I will be making this quite often!

Veggie Rice Medley

2 Tablespoons olive oil
Veggie Rice Medley
1/2 onion, sliced and halved
1 carrot, sliced and halved
2 cloves of garlic, minced
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 cup of fresh vegetables*
1 teaspoon parsley
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried celery flakes
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup water
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
4 servings of cooked rice

Heat oil in skillet.  Add onions, carrots, garlic and mushrooms.  Cook on medium heat until crisp tender (they still will have a little more cooking time to cook the rest of the way) stirring every so often.  Add fresh vegetables.  Sprinkle with parsley, salt, pepper, celery flakes, red pepper flakes and chicken bouillon powder.  Stir.  Add 1 cup chicken broth.  In separate bowl, stir water into cornstarch.  Add to vegetable mixture and mix.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender and broth is reduced by half.  Spoon over rice.

*I used green beans, green pepper, snow peas and broccoli.  I would add the snow peas and broccoli the last few minutes of cooking so they don't get overcooked.

Servings:  4

No comments:

Post a Comment