November 13, 2012

Veggie Hero Sandwich

Like I've mentioned, I am trying to make healthier meals for my family.  As a result, I am creating and trying new vegetarian recipes.  Here's one I made recently, that we all liked.  Although I have to tell you about my 12 year old. . . when he saw the mushrooms, he asked if all of the sandwiches had them.  When I said that they did, he made a frown because he's not crazy about them.  You know what, he ate his whole sandwich  and actually had some leftovers later for a snack!  So, I guess this one will be a keeper!  LOL!

Veggie Hero Sandwich
 
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 small peppers, julienned or about 2 cups (I used some green, yellow and orange)
1/2 cup celery, diced
1 small onion, chopped
1 eggplant, cut in thin strips
4 ounces of mushrooms (I used canned because I didn't have any fresh)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion salt
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup chicken broth
1-14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup mozarella cheese, shredded
4 sub sandwich breads

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Heat oil in large skillet  Add peppers, celery, onion, eggplant, mushrooms and all herbs and spices.  Cook on medium until tender, stirring every so often.  Add chicken broth and cook until reduced.  Spoon 1/4 of vegetable mixture on each sandwich bread.  Spoon 1/4 of the tomatoes over vegetable mixture and then sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozarella.  Wrap in foil and place on cookie sheet.  Repeat with remaining sandwich breads.  Bake for 12 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Servings:  4

Veggie Hero Sandwich

No comments:

Post a Comment