December 2, 2012

Walnut Buttons

Have you started baking your Christmas cookies yet?  I need to get an early start because of upcoming celebrations so I actually made my first batch yesterday.  I'm not sure where this recipe came from but, my mom has been making them since I was a little girl.

What traditional cookies do you make for the holidays?  How many kinds do you make?  I typically make at least 5 or 6 kinds.  Plus I make a batch or two of caramel popcorn.

Remember, most cookies freeze well (you can see some tips at this link http://recipesplusmore.blogspot.com/2012/05/tip-of-day_21.html) so you can make them ahead of time.


Walnut Buttons

1/2 cup shorthening
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2/3 cup ground walnuts
1 2/3 cup flour
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon




Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Cream shortening and butter together and then cream sugar.  Add extract and walnuts and mix well.  Add flour and thoroughly combine.  Roll into small balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake until set about 14 - 16 minutes (do not brown them).  Let cool slightly.  In a small bowl, mix powdered sugar and cinnamon.  Dip the cookies in the powdered sugar mixture.

Servings:  6 dozen

No comments:

Post a Comment