February 27, 2013

Eggplant Sandwiches

I had extra eggplant that I needed to use up so I created this simple sandwich.  I am so glad that I did because we really loved them.  Surprisingly, even my youngest gobbled his up!

Eggplant Sandwiches
Eggplant Sandwiches

8 slices of eggplant
kosher salt
4 hamburger buns
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
coarse black pepper
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
basil
oregano
4 - 6 Tablespoons roasted bell pepper strips & carmelized onions*

Place eggplant in a bowl and sprinkle each slice (front and back) with kosher salt.  Let stand 20 - 30 minutes.  This will bring out the water in the eggplant and help prevent soggy sandwiches.  Blot dry with a paper towel.

Mix olive oil, garlic powder and pepper in a small bowl.  Brush each side of eggplant with mixture and place in frying pan.  Saute for about 2 minutes on each side (test with fork to see if they are tender).  In the meantime, lay both top and bottom of buns on cookie sheet with inside facing up.  Brush rest of oil mixture on insides of each bun.  Toast under a broiler for a few minutes until lightly browned.  Remove from oven.

Sprinkle 1/8 cup of mozzarella cheese on bottom of bun.  Set two slices of eggplant on top of cheese.  Sprinkle with basil and oregano.  Spoon about 1 tablespoon of pepper strips and onions on top and cover with bun.  Repeat for remaining buns.  Place under broiler for another few minutes to melt cheese.

Servings:  4 sandwiches



*I used the Mezzetta brand that comes in a jar.  Of course, you can roast your own red peppers and carmelize your own onions.  I just happened to have a jar in my pantry to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment