April 4, 2013

New Year's Resolution Tips


Tip # 7

These last set of tips will focus on suggestions of how to eat healthier.  I'm sure most of us know many of these tips but it still can be hard to change our "bad" habits.  I believe the key is to take small steps.  Trying to do it all at once can possibly lead to not accomplishing what you set out to do.  So. . . my recommendation is to try the following suggestions one at a time.  Succeed with one plan before moving to the next.  Keep in mind that the experts say that it takes 30 days to make a habit!

Take small steps!

Replace juice with fresh fruit. . . I very rarely buy juice anymore.  I typically serve fresh fruit with our breakfast.  The reason being is that juice usually contains more sugar than whole fruit.  Also, there are more nutrients in whole fruit than in the juice because of the skin and the pulp. According to the USDA's MyPlate guideline, an adult woman needs 1.5 - 2 cups of fruits every day; a man needs about 2 cups.  I think it can be hard to get that much fruit into your diet so this is one way to get closer to that recommendation.

Choose beverages wisely. . . There's no way around it -- pop is bad for you.  There is no nutritional value in this beverage.  It has a lot of calories with no substance.  Water, on the other hand, has no calories and it is something that our bodies need.  I drink water throughout the day.  It keeps me hydrated and I'm not wasting calories.
  
Want a little flavor with your drink, squeeze a little lemon or lime into your water.

I also drink milk with my meals.  According to research that was reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, drinking milk may actually help you lose weight.  Of course, it also has the benefit of adding calcium and Vitamin D to your diet

The bottom line is try replacing those unhealthy beverages with one that is healthier.

To be continued. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment