June 22, 2013

Oatmeal Waffles

You know that I am always trying to serve healthier meals to my family.  While I've been slowly doing a better job at meal time, breakfast hasn't been changing much.  We typically eat a bowl of store-bought cereal (like Cheerios or Corn Flakes) and some fruit.  I don't care much for eggs (although the rest of my family likes them) and struggle with eating oatmeal.  Most of the breakfast recipes that I come across always seem to include either eggs, bacon, sausage or ham which isn't good to have all the time.  So one morning I decided to try something other than cereal or something without meat in it.  These oatmeal waffles is what I came up with.  They were really good!  And surprisingly, they tasted better than any frozen waffle I've tried or even those I've made using a boxed mix (like Aunt Jemima).  Did I mention that they are healthier too because of the oatmeal in them and the wheat flour?

Next time I will throw in a little flaxseed to boost the nutritional value and will also make my own fruit syrup.  Have you read the ingredients on those imitation maple syrup bottles?  Mine reads. . . corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, cellulose gum, caramel color, sodium benzoate, sorbic acid, artifical flavors and sodium hexmetaphosphate. . . I cannot even pronounce some of these chemicals.  I seriously need to pitch all our "maple syrup" in the house and get the real thing.

Anyways, here is the recipe that I will be making quite often.  I will even make extra so some can be frozen and then popped into the toaster on those busy mornings.

Oatmeal Waffles
Oatmeal Waffles

1 cup old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup white flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1 Tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups milk

In a food processor, pulse the oats until they resemble a fine flour.  Add rest of ingredients and blend until combined.

Heat your waffle iron; spray with oil spray.  Pour 1 cup of batter onto waffle iron; close lid. Remove when cooked all the way through (or follow your manufacturer's directions - mine has a light to tell me when they are done).

Servings:  12 waffles

No comments:

Post a Comment