April 23, 2012

Tip of the Day

I'm going to tell you a little secret. . . I never buy bread crumbs.  It is so easy just to make your own and another good way to save a little money.  I just break up the ends of breads into medium size pieces (stuffing size) and let sit in a dish for a few days until it is totally dry.  Then I throw them in a food processor (or you can put them in a baggie and use a rolling pin) and process into crumbs.  Store in an airtight container and voila, you have your own bread crumbs.  You can add seasonings too if you like such as oregano and basil. 

Besides using end pieces of loaves, I have also used other types of  bread (i.e., bagels, rolls, buns, etc.) that are going stale or we just can't eat up fast enough.

Another option is to just keep the bread in medium-size pieces for stuffing.  Either way, you're going green!

No comments:

Post a Comment