August 22, 2012

Garden Marinara Sauce

Last week, as I was looking at my counter filled with tomatoes, lots of tomatoes from our garden(!), I decided that I was going to make sauce to go with my spaghetti dinner.  Here is what I came up with!

Garden Marinara Sauce

1 Tablespoon olive oil
Garden Marinara Sauce
1/2 cup onion, chopped
4 cups tomatoes, chopped, with skin & seeds removed
1 yellow (or green) pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder*
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/8 teaspoon rosemary
1/8 teaspoon thyme
1/8 teaspoon sage
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
4 - 5 Tablespoons tomato paste

Heat olive oil in sauce pan.  Add onions and cook on medium until tender.  Add tomatoes, pepper, and spices.  Simmer for 10 minutes.  Add brown sugar and tomato paste.  Simmer for 5 more minutes.  Serve over spaghetti.

*I didn't have any fresh garlic, but if you have it, use 4 garlic cloves.  Cook them for 1 minute before adding tomatoes, pepper and spices.

Note:  I used a mixture of tomatoes.  I had Roma tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and yellow tomatoes.  Roma tomatoes are the easiest to remove the seeds from.  Just cut them in half and take a spoon and scoop them out.  Don't worry if you don't get every seed; it really won't matter if there are some in there.  The cherry tomatoes just need to be chopped.  Also, you can add more tomato paste if your sauce isn't as thick as you like it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment