September 5, 2013

Product Review

As I mentioned yesterday, I was going to do a product review for the Greek yogurt that I used in my Peach Raspberry Smoothie recipe.  I received a coupon by way of being a Bzz agent to try FAGE Greek yogurt for free.

FAGE is a family owned company and actually continues to use the same recipe for FAGE Total that they introduced with the opening of their original Athens dairy shop in 1926 (87 years ago!).  It is the #1 yogurt in Greece and is the only authentic Greek yogurt that is truly made with 100% natural ingredients.  There are only two or three ingredients:  milk and live active cultures or milk, live active cultures and cream.  It is rich in protein and low in calories and fat.  It is available in 0% non-fat, 2% low-fat and Classic (I used the 2% low-fat), and it comes in 6 oz., 7 oz., 17 oz. and 35 oz. sizes.

Besides using the FAGE Greek yogurt in our smoothie recipe, I also tried it in a granola parfait recipe.  We loved it in the smoothies!  However, in the parfaits we didn't like it as much (although it still was good).  I believe it is because we are used to a sweeter type of yogurt and Greek yogurt isn't quite as sweet.  I may just try adding a teaspoon of honey next time to add that little bit of sweetness.  FAGE is definitely very creamy and I like how healthy it is for you.  It really is versatile too -- you can use it as a snack, as a meal ingredient, in your smoothies or even as a part of a dessert.

I do plan on buying FAGE Greek yogurt in the future because I will be using it more often in the kitchen and substituting it for other ingredients (i.e. mayonnaise). With eating less meats, I am always looking for alternatives to adding more protein to our diet.  I have also been trying to use more whole foods and foods with natural ingredients.  FAGE does all this.

Have you tried Greek yogurt yet?  Have you sampled the FAGE brand?  I'd love to hear how you have incorporated it into your recipes so please share by commenting below.

No comments:

Post a Comment