June 10, 2013

New Year's Resolutions

This will be the last post in the New Year's Resolutions miniseries.  As we've been talking about all year one of our goals was to eat healthier.  Here are a couple more ways to achieve that goal.*


Eat more vegetarian meals, less meat. . . If you look at my What's For Dinner posts over the past year, you will see that I have slowly started to serve less dishes with meat in them.  I usually serve meat no more than three times a week and believe it or not, my family has been fine with this.  Even I who never was much of a vegetable eater have been enjoying these meatless dinners.  I try to have some type of fish once a week and the other meals may include pasta or one of my other vegetarian recipes (such as a veggie hero sandwich, veggie rice medley or toasted ravioli).  Plus some of the meals that do have meat in them have more vegetables in them than the meat like my chicken stir fry.  

Try doing this by eliminating one meat dish a week; then try two and so on.  You may find that it is not as difficult as you think!


Cut down on sweets. . . Now, I have mentioned on more than one occasion that I have a sweet tooth! I really do like cakes and pies and cookies!  But as we all know, sugar is not good for us.  I recently read that research shows that a lifetime of overindulging in sugary sweets, can actually give you wrinkled, dull skin -- now that's a reason to cut back!  Of course, there are many other reasons like it can lead to cancer, compromise your immune system and even cause brittle nails just to name a few.  

So how do I satisfy my sweet tooth?  What I started to do was to allow myself something sweet as a snack at night time.  In that way, I don't feel deprived.  If I try to have it any time sooner in the day, I just crave more sugar so night time works best for me.  I also found that my sugar craving lessened over time.  

If you can eliminate sweets from your diet all at once, that is wonderful!  However, if you are like me, indulge but try to do it on a smaller scale.


*You can read more tips by clicking on Tip of the Day at the top and then scrolling down until you see New Year's Resolutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment